Thursday, August 02, 2007

Trip # 2: BELIZE!

So, here we are in lovely Dangriga by the sea, a sleepy little town of about 10,000. And oh man, it t'aint nothin' like ole' Guatemala. Someone should maybe have mentioned that it was basically a Carribean Island and not a developing country! It is hot and humind. (I can feel the sweat on my upper lip bubbling, and I've only just gotten out of the shower.)

The highlight oif the day was taking a 12-seater plane 15 minutes from Belize City to Dangriga. A veritable puddle jumper!! Sooooo cool! I felt like McGyver. Don't start work until Monday, so the weekend is ours to do with as we please! I am looking into going to the Jaguar Park (the animals, not the cars) and/or going cave rafting and ZIP LINING!!! Yipee!! I have always, always, ALWAYS wanted to go zip lining! I am feeling oh so very Amazing Race right now. One thing is for sure, if you are an adventure seeker, Belize is the place for you!

It looks as if we are going to maybe be making it to some Mayan ruins next weekend, and our last weekend will likely be spent on Caye Caulker soaking up the sun on the beach.

Have been placed with a lovely, warm and kind family in my own room. The other three are in a bed and breakfast down the road. Other than feeling a bit cut-off from them, all is really well. And being on my own without a group in tow in a foreign land is so new that I am having a hard time adjusting to it. SO used to going along with the group and following whatever has already been planned for me, that I've been left feeling a little unprepared for the weekend that lies ahead. But not to worry. After all, I've got my Lonely Planet book and my credit card and I can see the airstrip from my bedroom window, so I'm sure I'll find SOMETHING to do!

No comments: