Monday, March 02, 2009

Total.Barking.Uncertainty

I've just realized that my book scares me.
I am terrified of the thing I am meant to be creating.
Maybe I just need to surrender to it; admit that I have no control and I should just stop pretending that I do.

Something that keeps coming up is Julie Cameron's 'The Artist's Way.' And what I've found in my own life is that when things keep coming up three....four...many times over that I am meant to be listening. Except that 'The Artist's Way' scares me even more than my own book.

I have been resisting it with full force, mostly because I think it's way too hard-core for me. I will eventually get around to it, I suppose, but I've heard that the MASSIVE book takes artists on a twelve-week journey, involving daily, risk-taking activities. Sounds great for people who don't have looming deadlines. Plus my whole life is already full of daily, risk-taking activities, so I'm all full up, thanks.

There is something called the Writer's Diet and it's a 'Spiritual Path to Creativity.' Hm. I'll have a plate of bacon with a side of crippling insecurity, please.

She offers advice on how to get over the stiffness or outright paralysis that creeps in when people make writing a "Big Deal." Well I have two words for you, Julie Cameron. And they start with an 'f' and finish with a 'u'.

She wholeheartedly believes that writing is a process that connects us to the divine.

Also, she creeps me out. She looks like a munchkin from the Wizard of Oz. You can't see them, but I bet she's wearing green curly-pointed shoes...

Actually, she looks a lot like that Simpsons episode when Homer puts marge's make-up on with a paint gun.


Which begs the question: Julie Cameron, did you set the make-up gun to whore??

No comments: